Board governance is a deciding component of organizational effectiveness and a crucial part of the functioning life of CSOs. Good governance ensures objectives are realized, resources are well managed, and the interests of stakeholders are protected and reflected in key decisions. After closer scrutiny of their internal governance, organizations often realize that their boards function in a less than ideal way, and more and more they are seeing the need to bring their governance up to contemporary standards. This course will address performance demands on CSO Boards. Board of directors must be credible, competent, and dedicated to the issues the organisation is addressing for the fundraising activities to be successful.
Objectives of the course
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
• Understand Boards in the non-profit sector;
• Build effective Boards and management teams;
• Select and configure a Board;
• Roles and responsibilities of Board members;
• Code of conduct and ethics of Boards;
• Value and contributions of Boards;
• Addressing Board term limits and replacements;
• Dealing with Board violations:
• Role plays
• Small group works
• Group discussions
This course targets executive directors and heads of NGOs, CBOs, FBOs, Networks, Youth Groups and Women’s Organization’s amongst others.