The West Africa Civil Society Institute (WACSI) was established to build the institutional and operational capacity of civil society in West Africa, through knowledge management, capacity development and policy influencing. WACSI seeks a committed, motivated and dynamic person to join its team in contributing to enhancing civil society’s efficiency and effectiveness in West Africa.
Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified persons for the under listed position:
Job Title: Project Officer – Regional Civil Society Resource Hub
Job Location: Accra, Ghana
Contract Type: Full time
The Regional Civil Society Resource Hub – Project Officer will report to and be under the direct supervision of the Head of Policy Influencing and Advocacy Unit (PIA).
The Project Officer will be responsible for the overall coordination of planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, communication and reporting of a five-year regional project designed to respond to the capacity gaps of civil society organisations working around issues of civic space in West Africa, with specific attention to Nigeria, Senegal and Ghana.
The PIA Programme Assistant will be responsible for providing the necessary assistance in the conceptualization, designing, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the institute’s policy influencing and advocacy strategy.
- Work with the Head of Policy Influencing and Advocacy unit and Project Officer to conceptualize, design and implement projects in line with WACSI’s vision, mission, and strategic objectives
- Develop annual workplan/activities, and budget in line with global project plan; and keep projects on schedule, within stated budgets and functioning smoothly
- Identify and resolve project issues, thus ensuring projects stay on schedule and within budget
- Coordinate the building, strengthening and managing the networking between and among project beneficiaries, partners and contractors.
- Organise the conceptualisation, coordination and facilitation of High-Level Policy Dialogues, consultative forum and related workshops around democratic consolidating, civic space and advocacy, digital security and civic organizing across the region
- Coordinate design and update of training tools such as toolkits, modules, and other indigenous training resources on civic space, organizational governance, digital security and strategic communications.
- Coordinate research, write and produce policy and advocacy outputs, such as reports, briefings, fact sheets, press releases, short articles for (and on) relevant policy meetings
- Lead the scanning, documenting and regular update of data and potential information for the project on emerging issues (around democracy, governance, civic space, digital security and technology, financial resilience, organisation governance and strategic communications.) and opportunities occurring at local and international policy levels
- Coordinate the facilitation and delivery of all training projects organised under the project, including related capacity assessment exercise
- Coordinate interactions/relationships between project staff, beneficiaries, partners, contractors and all other project stakeholders
- Schedule and organize project-related meetings and events, in accordance with annual workplan
- Lead assessment and due diligence exercise of project beneficiaries and produce quality reports
- Oversee the use of technology for project operations, such as video conferencing technology, presentation software and other communication technologies, for instance
- Facilitate positive relations between the project team, the public, the media other departments within the organization, and all other involved parties.
- Support the tracking of activities to assess progress and learn from current practices
- Provide information for the periodic reporting as required and ensure coordination with internal and external partners
- Assist with the development of innovative tools and promotional material for effective knowledge sharing, campaigning, networking and resource mobilisation
- Participate in unit and cross-unit project/project planning and proposal development, and rapporteuring needs
- Serve as liaison between the unit, other unit at WACSI, contractors, associates, partners and project beneficiaries
- Represent institute at local and international projects including meetings, forum or workshops
- Any other duties that will be assigned by the Head of the Policy Influencing and Advocacy Unit or the Executive Director
- Facilitate the planning and coordination of projects and their activities with other project partners
- Monitor implementation of project objectives, policies and practices in accordance with partners’ expectations
- Oversee the project budget, including tracking billing, payments and other financial transactions
- Ensure close monitoring of activities and lead the process and later the implementation of M&E framework
- Assume full responsibility for coordinating effectively and efficiently the implementation of all project activities as well as supervising the project and partners
- Ensure wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements in close cooperation with the Knowledge Management Unit of WACSI and project partners
- Prepare qualitative work plans and compile substantive and financial progress reports in close coordination of the outputs/activities agreed in the annual work plans and ultimately ensure information-sharing
- Manage project marketing and communications (media relations, social media)
- Facilitate the development of the project monitoring and evaluation indicators, and address risks
- Organize logistics for training workshops, regional convening and learning events
- Prepare reports on the progress of the project, including reports on the financial situation of the project (in collaboration with Finance team)
- Complete all paperwork required for funding and approval by management of all parts of the project.
- Develop promotional literature for the project such as brochures, newsletters and flyers
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of grant requests and funding continuation from outside sponsors.
- Ensure report coordination and overall implementation progress to the PIA Head of unit on a monthly basis.
- Establish and manage mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the in-country and regional levels.
Maintain and initiate dialogue with key stakeholders
- Maintain and initiate effective dialogue and coordination with key stakeholders within WACSI and with project partners, project contractors and beneficiaries
- Ensure regular communication, organization, knowledge management and consultation with relevant partners
- Act as the secretariat in supporting the convening of bi-annual project steering committee meeting and ensure follow-up on decisions and recommendations.
Qualification and Requirements Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Law, Development Studies, Social Science or related subjects, with an advanced degree preferred
- At least 5 years of professional experience in at least 3 of these fields –civil society, civic space, advocacy and human rights, democracy and governance, social justice and accountability, digital activism, institutional development or related subject
- Previous working experience as a project/project officer, project/project coordinator, network coordinator or related roles in regional capacity.
- Strong interest in civil society (sector and actors), civil society, civic space, advocacy and human rights, democracy and governance, social justice and accountability, digital activism, institutional development in West Africa
- Deep knowledge in civil society sector and good knowledge in – Civic Space (civil society enabling environment) and technology for development (digital security and protection)
- Knowledgeable with issues of shrinking civic space and its impact on civil society operations and civic engagement in West Africa.
- Good knowledge of ECOWAS region, its raison d’état and development ambitions
- Admirable experience in project management across multiple countries.
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative analytical skills with knowledge of data analysis tools
- Rich experience in project monitoring and evaluation, and hands-on knowledge of M&E tools
- Experience in producing communication pieces, such as newsletter, press releases, project briefs
- Good communication and excellent writing skills in English and French Languages
- Ability to pay attention to details to overall project coordination and results-oriented
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, meet tight deadlines and a team player
- Ability to work with minimum supervision; dynamic and self-motivated
- Exceptional interpersonal, people-management and organizational
- Ability to coordinate, execute and report project goals in multiple countries
- Ability to effectively support the development and implementation of plans and strategies in a collaborative environment
- Experience in conference / event organisation, preferably of international events
- Ability to document findings and processes to enhance organisational learning
- Perfectly bilingual (in French and English) with high proficiency in English Language
- Experienced in working in a multicultural and highly diverse environment.
Interested applicants must submit their application through this link Job link https://smrtr.io/8sRM7
Closing date for submission of all applications is Friday March 15, 2022.
WACSI is an equal opportunities employer.