Terms of Reference for the Africa Innovation Festival Keynote Speakers
Introduction to Innovation for Change (I4C)
Innovation for Change (I4C) is a global network of people and organizations who work together to protect civic space and overcome restrictions to our basic freedoms of assembly, association and speech. We are a community-led network, inspired by ideas, methods, and technologies from across different sectors. Our seven interconnected regional hubs are growing in both physical and online spaces across Africa, Central Asia, East Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East and North Africa, the Pacific and South Asia.
Innovation for Change Africa (I4C) Hub
Launched in 2017 and based in Nairobi, the I4C Africa Hub is a vital new physical and online space for regional ideas and social innovations, powered by its dynamic, growing community of civic space advocates from Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), technologists and cross-sectoral partners. The Hub is working to strengthen the capacity of civil society and through homegrown African solutions as well as being part of a global network that offers network members access to the latest thinking, resources and collaborations.
Africa Innovation Festival
The I4C Africa Hub will host its first Africa Innovation Festival. The Innovation Festival will be a three (3) day virtual event taking place over the course of three (3) weeks. Each week will focus on one of three (3) themes: 1) Accountability; 2) Transparency; and 3) Natural Resource Management.
The main objective of the Africa Innovation Festival is to shine a lens on innovative CSOs, start-ups, leaders, strategies, and trends around Africa to build a stronger and more resilient African continent.
Each week will have three (3) speakers on a panel of the theme of the week. The panel sessions will discuss specific areas of 1) Accountability; 2) Transparency; and 3) Natural Resource Management. Each panel will require an expert on that specific area as a discussant. Publication opportunities on the Innovation for Change (I4C) Website, as well as the Innovation for Change (I4C) Africa Hub Innovation Platform, are available post-festival.
Tasks and Deliverables
Innovation for Change (I4C) Africa Hub is looking for nine (9) thought-leaders to lead the conversation on the three (3) themes: 1) Accountability; 2) Transparency; and 3) Natural Resource Management. Three (3) speakers will be required for each theme. Once speakers are recruited, they will be required to meet and agree on a final topic around that theme. Specifically, the speakers will be required to:
- Meet with the other two (2) speakers on the theme and plan their session;
- Prepare a short 15 minute presentation (PowerPoint slide);
- Take part in a Q & A session for clarifications on presentation; and
- Take part in a Q & A session for clarifications on the theme of the week.
25 October – 12 November 2021
Under the guidance and supervision of the I4C Africa Hub’s Monitoring & Evaluation Officer, and the overall guidance of the I4C Africa Hub’s Regional Manager.
- This role requires an expert in one of the three (3) themes: 1) Accountability; 2) Transparency; and 3) Natural Resource Management;
- Excellent verbal skills with concern for quality and attention to detail;
- The ideal candidate should be creative and demonstrate good interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrate ability to deliver virtual events;
- He/ she should be a good storyteller, articulate, confident and creative; and
- The candidate should be knowledgeable on the subject matter, relatable, demonstrate good organizational skills and ability to work under pressure to beat deadlines.
Email Subject Line should read Africa Innovation Festival [Insert Appropriate Theme here] Keynote Speaker e.g. Africa Innovation Festival Natural Resource Management Keynote Speaker.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have heard from us within two (2) weeks after your application, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.