The West Africa Civil Society Institute (WACSI) is a regional non-governmental organisation dedicated to enhancing the capacities of civil society organisations in West Africa toward greater sustainability and operational and development effectiveness. In response to an identified need for structured practical capacity enhancement for young West Africans, WACSI introduced a Next Generation Internship Programme (NGIP) in January 2008 aimed at developing the next generation of African scholars and practitioners. The programme primarily targets young West Africans, either fresh graduates or early career professionals, seeking work experience in WACSI’s core areas of work. Interns are expected to commit to WACSI for six months during which time they will be fully involved in all WACSI activities and enhance their knowledge and capacities for leadership, knowledge and programme management, and critical development issues for West Africa, among other areas.WACSI is therefore seeking interns interested in enhancing their civic consciousness and developing their professional capacity. They will be embedded in WACSI’s core areas of work i.e. Capacity Development, Policy Influencing and Advocacy and Knowledge Management. This is a predominantly self-funded internship. The institute will support interns with fully furnished accommodation and lunch during working days for the duration of the internship.
Responsibilities for Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Intern:
• Contribute to the design and maintenance of a responsive and efficient data managementsystem;
• Assist with data entry and regular updates of the institute’s databases, especially the Institute’s alumni database;
• Assist in the design of data collection tools, including online survey questionnaires;
• Assist in the review and analysis of data collected to generate insights in a timely and accurate fashion;
• Contribute to the review of existing data collection protocols and drafting of data management policies;
• Assist with the collation of lessons learnt and feedback on programmes and operations;
• Contribute to the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities of the institute;
• Assist the Techsoup project team with operational support;
• Provide support in the design and implementation of marketing strategies and tactics for the success of the technology donation programme and other relevant activities;
• Assist in the design, planning and delivery of programmes, projects and activities,
including trainings, events organising, technical support and coaching;WEST AFRICA CIVIL SOCIETY INSTITUTE
• Work with different teams and contribute to knowledge sharing and dissemination within the organisation;
• Any other duties that may be assigned by Supervisors.
Responsibilities for Capacity Development Intern:
• Collect relevant information to support training preparation;
• Contribute to and publicise the Institute’s programmes advertisements;
• Assist in the development of training materials and toolkits;
• Assist in the coordination of training programmes, including handling of logistics and report writing;
• Contribute to the design and development of concept notes, proposals and any other
• Any other duties that may be assigned.
Responsibilities for Communications Intern:
• Assist in developing content for internal publications such as newsletters, email announcements, planned publications.
• Assist in the management of the Institute’s website.
• Assist in arranging media engagement opportunities towards convenings.
• Assist in preparing and coordinating media content in the form of opinion pieces, articles, blogs and other related content.
• Assist other units within the organisation to prepare communications content and products for publication.
• Provide a monthly summary of performance on WACSI’s Social Media platforms.
• Coordinate the production of quarterly Newsletter.
• Constantly update the database of media contacts across the regions where WACSI operates to sustain relationship with local and international media.
• Establish and maintain a high-level content both written, graphical and video for multiple online channels (WACSI’s Social Media Platforms and YouTube).
• Manage and maintain WACSI’s Social Media platforms.
• Create rich and creative content that is optimised for search engines.
• Ensure that the WACSI is accurately featured on all social media platforms.
• Carry out any other duty assigned by the unit.
• Minimum of a first degree in international affairs, political science, public policy, law, development studies or related fields.
• Interest in civil society and non-profit organization management.
• Commitment to WACSI’s vision and values and demonstrated interest in civil society.
• Strong research, writing and communication (verbal and written) skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and strong Internet research skills.
• English with a working knowledge of French or Portuguese, or Portuguese and French with a working knowledge of English.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Works well under pressure with minimal supervision and in a multi-cultural environment.
• Proactive, willing to learn and take initiative.
• Works well as part of a team.
Interested applicants should send the following documents to: email@example.com by Friday November 19, 2021:
• Application letter and comprehensive curriculum vitae (CV).
• Please state in the subject of the application letter your area of interest e.g. Application for Capacity Development Intern.
• Names and contact of two referees; and
• Letter of motivation expressing career goals and how the internship will contribute to achieving them.
• Applicants for the Communications internship must submit a writing sample of no more
than 3 pages.
• Preference will be given to applicants with a high proficiency in English, French or Portugese and a working knowledge of one other.
• The successful intern will spend a substantial part of her/his internship working at the WACSI office in Accra, Ghana.
• The internship period is from January to June, 2022.
• Interested candidates will be required to cover their internship – related expenses.
WACSI will subsidise the cost by providing fully furnished accommodation, lunch during work periods and transportation costs to and from the office for the duration of the internship.Due to the volume of applications, ONLY successful applicants will be contacted for interview.